As a consumer lawyer in Auckland, I make the point that we are all consumers in one way or another. Businesses would do well to remember that when dealing with consumers and consumer law issues.
Consumer protection laws infiltrate many areas of business from simple agreements to complicated contracts and other documents, and add another layer of complexity to commercial law and contract law. As a consumer lawyer, I help my clients to have documentation and procedures in place that comply with this stringent area of business law. Failure to consult a good consumer lawyer is short sighted and is likely to give rise to added risks, which can include unenforceable terms, possible penalties, and adverse publicity. As some businesses that have failed to comply with the law know full well, the Commerce Commission is very active in enforcing some consumer protection laws.
Consumer Law Services include:
- CCCFA (Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act).
- Consumer Guarantees and the Consumer Guarantees Act.
- Consumer Law advice.
- Fair Trading Act including extended warranties, misleading and deceptive conduct, and unfair contract terms.
- Finance documents including lending and security documents.
- PPSA (Personal Property Securities Act).
- Terms of Trade.